help-flex

Re: simple Flex program?

From: Alexandru
Subject: Re: simple Flex program?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 04:28:30 -0700 (PDT)

The project is to be done in C++ and Flex. It is for a course of Finite Language Automata but unfortunately Flex information has been very little. So it has no practical use...just to test our skills. Which I lack :(
Do you have anything that does a similar search so I can modify the flex code and get the job done? Thanks,
Alex

Hans-Bernhard Br�ker <address@hidden> wrote:
Alexandru wrote:
> I'm totally new to flex and just received a project that is due in a few
> days. I want to ask you if it is a hard one to solve and if anyone can
> give me some help.

This is almost guaranteed to be impossible to do in *any* time frame by
a newbie. For starters, the job is basically impossible to do with flex
alone. C syntax can't be captured by regular expressions alone. By the
time you're able to finish this task, you'll no longer be a (f)lex
newbie, and it'll take a lot more than just a couple days to get there.

> Give one ore more C files.For each file generate a txt file containing
> the functions found in the C files and for each function : its type, its
> name, the nomber of parameters and their name.

Why anyone would want to know the *names* of a C function's formal
parameters evades me. Those generally mean nothing. The only thing
that really counts is their type.

> So? Is it hard or has anyone done something like this already?

cxref exists.