help-flex

Re: simple Flex program?

From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker
Subject: Re: simple Flex program?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:21:06 +0200

Alexandru wrote:
I'm totally new to flex and just received a project that is due in a few days. I want to ask you if it is a hard one to solve and if anyone can give me some help.

This is almost guaranteed to be impossible to do in *any* time frame by a newbie. For starters, the job is basically impossible to do with flex alone. C syntax can't be captured by regular expressions alone. By the time you're able to finish this task, you'll no longer be a (f)lex newbie, and it'll take a lot more than just a couple days to get there.

Give one ore more C files.For each file generate a txt file containing the functions found in the C files and for each function : its type, its name, the nomber of parameters and their name.

Why anyone would want to know the *names* of a C function's formal parameters evades me. Those generally mean nothing. The only thing that really counts is their type.

So? Is it hard or has anyone done something like this already?

cxref exists.