Re: Windows named sockets

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows named sockets
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:26:40 +0200

> From: Nikoleta Misheva <nikoleta.misheva@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:27:54 +0100
>
> I am not entirely sure if this is the correct place to ask, but here goes. I
> was trying to replicate my emacs
> configuration to Windows and I noticed that the daemon support on Windows is
> different i.e you cannot use
> named sockets.
>
> Then I found this bug
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-01/msg00814.html that
> describes the implementation and that the reason for not having named sockets
> on Windows is that
> filesystem sockets are not supported.
>
> However since a certain Windows version that is available
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/af_unix-comes-to-windows/  .
>
> So my question is - is this something planned or was it decided against it?

For this to happen, someone should step forward, investigate the
compatibility between the Windows implementation of filesystem sockets
with what Emacs uses for server/client connections, and if they are
compatible, write code to detect at runtime whether this feature is
supported, and if so, activate it.  No one did that yet, AFAIK.

There's a compatibility issue to consider here: an emacsclient running
on a Windows system that supports these sockets will only work with
Emacs versions which also support such sockets.  So I guess we will
need some user option and emacsclient command-line option to allow
interoperability.

Feel free to submit a feature request bug report about this, so that
this is tracked by our issue tracker.