changing make-process to use the new ConPTY API

From: George Oliver
Subject: changing make-process to use the new ConPTY API
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 15:12:42 -0700

hello,

I am looking for general guidance/feedback on the possibility of
changing make-process in src/process.c to use the new Windows ConPTY
(released in recent Windows 10 updates). For reference see
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/.

As I understand it Emacs uses pipes to communicate with async
processes on Windows, because in the past Windows had no native pseudo
tty like you'll find on Unix-based systems. ConPTY makes available a
pseudo tty, and in theory this could facilitate a better experience
for Emacs users working with sub processes such as programming
language shells, command line utilities and the like.

All that said I have basically no experience with the Emacs core and
little knowledge of what's required for such a change, if the core
team would be amenable to such a change, and so on. However I am eager
to learn and I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

thanks, George