Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:42:07 +0100

Matthew X. Economou wrote:

The sockets version of the gnuserv port to NT currently has no maintainer.

I don't think that is true. There is just no maintenance to do as far as the author is aware.

Guy Pascoigne-Piggford is the author of the version on wyrdrune.com. He has recently posted to emacs-devel with respect to porting emacsclient to Windows, so that the functionality of gnuserv/gnuclient is available by default.

Your ideas might be useful for him to consider for that port.

(1) gnuclientw exits immediately after sending the file to Emacs, i.e. "-q" is
always set.
Many people consider this a feature, but I agree with you. Since there is no Window associated with gnuclientw, users will not notice that it hangs around until the buffer is killed, so I don't know what the rationale behind the current behaviour is

(2) The connection between gnuclient/gnuclientw and gnuserv closes after 300
seconds.
This sounds like a standard TCP timeout. This is a disadvantage of using TCP sockets, and will have to be considered for the emacsclient por

I plan on making the following changes:

(1) Update the sources to build on Visual Studio .NET.
I think this is counter-productive. Microsoft's compilers seem to be getting more and more proprietary, pushing you towards .NET rather than Posix C. A better idea would be to update it to build on the GNU compilers from MingW32 and Cygwin.

(2) Merge the mailslot version.
I don't think mailslots offer any more security than TCP sockets. They can be used remotely and reportedly are not blocked by some personal firewalls. Stefan Monnier has a simple idea for authenticating TCP sockets (similar to how many versions of X work), but for 21.4, we will probably just restrict them to localhost.