about lr(1) parsers

From: chinlu chinawa
Subject: about lr(1) parsers
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:04:14 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

I learning assembly, with gnu gas, and am willing to
implement a lr(1) parser.

I've been looking for documents where a lr(1)
language-independent implementation is shown, and I've
actually found them in many books, but all the
examples looks really complitated to me and doesn't
allow me to understand how lr(1) really goes.

I've been asking the same in many different places,
everybody (logically) uses to implement parsers
through lex, yacc, bison, etc, thus why I'm here.

My question is, if there's any document that shows a
really basic lr(1) implementation, let's say just a
"a=1" (I haven't found it), as I haven't seen any
parser-generator for assembly I could look at, or if
there's anybody kind enough to write a lr(1) table for
that expression for me.

I've got implemented already isnum, ischar, lookahead
alike functions, can handle the input buffer, got a
stack implemented as well, but have no clue either how
to get this working in practice, nor how to make my
own tables afterwards.

What I've thought is to start with the above
expression to then start practising till I really
understand how it goes, to then, see how I'm gonna do
to develop a small app. that outputs this tables for
me given some sort of rules, suitable to be used in my
assembly programs.

Basically what I'm after to, is to implement a
programming language. Is just a hobbie, but assembly
and programming languages development is what I always
wanted to learn, so I'm trying it.

Any comments much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New
Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html