Re: Bison and LR(1) Parsers

From: Tim Josling
Subject: Re: Bison and LR(1) Parsers
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:12:31 +1000

I want to finish the current phase of my compiler before doing
anything to bison. This will be in a couple of months eg
September/October. I am very confident that full LR(1) would
satisfy my needs. The Fortest approach does implement full LR(1)
function, though in a new way. The question is whether the Fortes
approach is best, or whether standard LR(1) would be best.

If someone implements the Fortes approach in a reasonable time, I
would use that, otherwise I would propose to write vanilla LR(1)
functionality. If the Fortes approach has not been done by
Septembet/October I will be looking to add LR(1) to bison. At
that time I would be asking for an indication that a patch to do
that would be acceptable in principle.

Tim Josling