Re: Bison's Semantic Parser

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Bison's Semantic Parser
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:44:45 +0200

At 16:07 +0200 2001/07/17, Akim Demaille wrote:
>Hans> I got the email below from Robert Corbett: He says he picked the
>Hans> semantic parser Berkeley Yacc about 12 years ago, and does not
>Hans> mind taking out of Bison as well.
>Hans> So in view of that, the comments by Paul Hilfinger, and the fact
>Hans> that no-one seems to have known how to use [Bison's semantic parser]
>for the last
>Hans> decade at least, I think it is best to simply take it out of
>Hans> Bison.
>
>Hans> Then one may add some other features to Bison (in the form of %
>Hans> options), say based on later Berkeley research, but that's gonna
>Hans> be a whole another story.
>
>Myabe it's solely for my own interest, but I would like not to bury
>this too soon.  I'm fine with hiding the feature (which is actually
>mostly already the case), and take some time to think about it.
>
>Right now, we focus onto releasing 1.29.

It seems best to concentrate on releasing 1.29. As for the semantic parser,
it appears to be no hurry taking it out, other than it may be cumbersome at
some point keeping it if new algorithms are added to Bison. But also, there
seems to be no point in keeping it either: If one is interested in this
semantic stuff, it seems better to concentrate on the more recent research.

I checked with Corbett if his thesis was available in TeX/DVI format, and
said it was on some old tape he didn't know if it still was readable.

  Hans Aberg