Re: printf '%s\n' "$@" versus <<< redirection

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: printf '%s\n' "$@" versus <<< redirection
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:17:40 -0500

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 10:46:08AM +0000, goncholden wrote:
> My intention is to use prinf line by line on arguments containing newlines.
> With a newline also introduced between arguments $1 $2 $3 etc.

This is quite unique.  I don't believe I've ever seen someone try to
write a command where each argument is a group of lines, and all of
the groups of lines are supposed to be concatenated together to form
one bigger group of lines.

For this goal, printf '%s\n' "$@" seems to be the correct choice.

The <<< "$@" construct is nonsensical.  Whatever it does (which is
pretty hard to predict, since it doesn't have a real definition), it
will not serve your goal.

If you want to avoid a pipeline which would cause your processing loop
to run in a subshell, then your syntax of choice would be:

while read ...
do
done < <(printf '%s\n' "$@")