Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: lisa-asket
Subject: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 21:46:20 +0200 (CEST)

From: Lawrence Velázquez <vq@larryv.me>
To: lisa-asket@perso.be
Date: 23/07/2021 21:26:53 Europe/Paris
Cc: help-bash@gnu.org

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021, at 3:16 PM, lisa-asket@perso.be wrote:
> Although your link states that it is posix compliant.

This only means that it can be run by POSIX-compliant shells. It
does not mean that the tool or its interface is POSIX-compliant.

> Perhaps Chet can find it useful and suitable
>
> for Gnu Bash to have similar functionality to all users, rather than
> something that just works for myself.

Chet has repeatedly solicited input on how getopts might be improved
in a backward-compatible manner, and your responses have effectively
been "well why don't you just look at this other thing and copy
them". This is highly unlikely to result in any meaningful changes.

That was only because I had a problem myself, and is more likely that he

knows about Gnu Implementations more that I know at this time.

Otherwise I could simply have sent a working implementation.  My conclusion

is that it is extremely difficult to do.  Bash developers should not get too
upset

admitting this, rather than trying to trash the user trying to do some job.