Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: lisa-asket
Subject: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 21:40:27 +0200 (CEST)

From: Lawrence Velázquez <vq@larryv.me>
To: lisa-asket@perso.be
Date: 23/07/2021 21:21:40 Europe/Paris
Cc: help-bash@gnu.org

> On Jul 23, 2021, at 3:09 PM, lisa-asket@perso.be wrote:
>
> You are right, but to say that if I continue with getopt or any long-option
> ideas I will not got any help from anybody is equally reprehensible.
> Nobody can talk for all people on the list on what topics to help or not.

It is true that no single list member can speak for all list members.

But consider that only a tiny minority of members actively spends
their time answering questions.

And consider that advisers are likely to cease advising when their
advice is regularly rejected.

-- Sometimes it is like going to the doctor because your thumb hurts, only to be

told not to use it.  I do not regularly reject discussions.  When I do, there
could be

reasons that others are happy not to tackle, ever.  My message was about
tackling

my specific problem.  I could go somewhere else, do it myself, or get someone to

do it.  At times it is wise to take on needs of the user if they report on a
recurrent

theme.

--
vq