heartlogic-dev

Re: [Heartlogic-dev] the plan

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: Re: [Heartlogic-dev] the plan
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:14:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 00:27 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
OHL v2 will have three activities:

1. Rating the believability of goal status (Goal, Anti-goal, NoGoal) of
various participants.  This corresponds to level 'g'.

Can you expand #1 ever so slightly.  E.g. a one or two paragraph version.
Shoot I know we talked about this, but we talked about many things.
Is there a hypothesis?  What is it?

Without going too deep, the hypothesis is that a pair of goal statuses
(same topic, same mindreader, different appraisers) characterize the
situation in an affectively meaningful way.  We can take this hypothesis
in lots different directions.

I confused.  I thought the goal statuses were Goal, AntiGoal and NoGoal.

But basically, I think I am game for trying out a mixture of different
studies.  We'll need to get one or two or maybe three pretty well nailed
down.

Are you hinting at a tree or flow-chart style extension of WLJ 2003?  If
so, sounds good.

I'm not sure. Reimplimenting WLJ 2003 would not involve a flowchart. Doing your study might.

Here's what I'm thinking. JoeUser logins in. A computer (or a ROBOT!!!!) flips a coin. If it's heads, JoeUser gets stuck with WLJ 2003. JoeUser will be required to complete about 10 items for his data to be used. If it's tails, JoeUser gets to do your study. Hopefully, the amount of effort required by JoeUser would be roughly the same regardless of whether he gets to do yours versus gets stuck with mine.

  Then we can publicize and get many respondants.

Part of my purpose with this email is to try to narrow down on the
minimum set of things we need to get ready.

Yep. Especially important given that the distance between my ears is shrinking.

Can you propose a specific list of things you want ready before we go
live?  It seems like your list is longer than mine.

EXCELLENT question. Good way to make sure I am not forgetting something important (such as my parachute before jumping out of the airplane).

Roughly this:

Okay, just thining about WLJ 2003 replication here is what needs to be done...

Compare currently collected data to WLJ 2003. If data appears sane then continuing marching forward with replication of WLJ 2003. Maybe talk through the project with UT statistical services to make sure everything is sane. Make sure I can run the data and test the hypotheses on a moments notice using SAS. Make sure I know precisely what constitutes replication. Give Joshua study 3 items from 2 or 3 more groups. Make sure website can randomly decide which group each new subject goes into yet keep the groups balanced. Review ethical issues associated with doing WWW study and implement/modify informed consent/etc as necessary. Publicisize the website a little to see what kinds of response we get for what kind of publicity. If response is suprisingly big, then we will want to be careful to not blow all our e.g. 1000's of subjects unnecessarily. Instead, have other studies lined up. If response is tepid, then this is less of a worry. Once completed, distill all remaining study 3 items for the of the 12 groups and send off to Joshua to be put up on website. Publicize as necessary to get sufficient subjects.

As for your deal...

Get clear on the terms/constructs, research questions and hypotheses. Develop the experimental method. Probably write it up to prove we know what we are doing. Plan the statistical analysis -- e.g. seek input from UT Statistical Services as necessary. Pilot he items on 1 - 20 friends and tweak based on their feedback. Run study. Analyze results. Write up. Publish.

Once both of the above are done... Become famous and watch the $$$ roll in as we sip margaritas in Goa or somewhere!!!!! (-;

Bill

There may be a way of replicating only a portion of my dissertation so as
not to require so many subjects.  After I analyze the data collected so
far, I can ask statistical services consulting at UT about this.

OK, good.

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)