heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] appraisee (was Re: squeak)

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] appraisee (was Re: squeak)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:53:04 +0530

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:03:13AM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > Here's a change I want to make as soon as possible which I doubt
> > you will find controversial.
> >
> > I want to explicitly parameterize the appraising-agent.
> >
> > This change doesn't have any impact on your Study #3.  However,
> > it will be required information for participant submitted
> > cues & appraisals.
>
> Short Answer: At this level of detail it sounds like a fine change.
>
> Long Answer: For the first set of web studies we do where the goal is to
> replicate my dissertation findings this change would be invisible to
> research subjects, right?

Correct.

> But, yes, once the research subjects
> have done their dutiful participation in the replication study
> we definitely want to be able to allow them vary the appraising
> agent.  E.g. if toby wants a cookie and daddy turns on the television
> how would george bush feel about it?

OK, now if we have parameterized "appraiser" then we can
parameterize "appraisee" also?

  Cue: Mommy gives Tracy an apple.

  How does Tracy feel about getting an apple?
    (appraiser=Tracy, appraisee=Tracy)

  How does Tracy think Mommy feels about giving her an apple?
    (appraiser=Tracy, appraisee=Mommy)

> i'm not categorically against
> adding more variables to the model, but also believe you have to
> walk before you can run...in other words, we might want to focus our
> modeling effort on handling a relatively constrained set of cases
> before tackling full blown complexity.

Yes, of course.  A KR model can output appraiser=appraisee style
appraisals.  I'm worried about limiting the choas with participant
submitted appraisals.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader