Re: [Health] ICD - Search by Disease Synonyms

From: Marc Murray
Subject: Re: [Health] ICD - Search by Disease Synonyms
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 19:18:03 -0500

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Chris <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all, I like the ideas here! For example, many people are more familiar with ICD9 than ICD10, consequently, you run into these mismatches/naming confusions. I really like what Cédric said: adding a single column with a list of synonyms is pretty simple. Any negative to that? We could always do some other re-designs later if we wanted, but I don't really see that many problems right now.

I think the single field for synonyms would be okay if we could reliably determine that at most, a code would have maybe 10 synonyms. However, I think this number 10 may actually be closer to an average (mean). The list of synonyms become even longer when you start considering cultural differences.

I think a simple model with the fields, name + synonym (name being the foreign key) may actually be easier to manage and may be faster to query that a TEXT type field. Introduce full-text indexing and that advantage goes away. However, we can still generate the TEXT field from the O2M

Admittedly, I don't know much about how Tryton works with multi-language. But, I think this method may also be easier to have synonyms in multiple languages in a single system

Just my $0.02.

---
MM