Re: [h5md-user] box data as part of trajectory/position

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] box data as part of trajectory/position
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:44:42 +0100

Am 16.11.2012, 21:48 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

My subscription to the h5md-user list was disabled in August, due to
the removal of an old email address. I have caught up with the list:

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:01:12PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
Peter and Olaf: are you still following the list? Do you have an
opinion on that?

I suggest the box information remains in /observables/box. I see no
benefit from moving it to /trajectory, other than rendering existing
simulation files incompatible with H5MD. I accept Pierre's earlier
motivation that box is a macroscopic property.

Peter

Hi Peter,

It's not so much about whether box is a macroscopic property or part of the trajectory data. My suggestions supports both views as the box data may equally exist in /observables and /trajectory.

The main motivation is the issue with potentially different sampling intervals of different particle groups, which remains unresolved if only a single box group is stored. In my proposal, the box information relevant for each snapshot of a particle group is stored, ensuring data consistency and simplifying the access of particle coordinates. Further, it avoids dependencies across different root groups.

I think these 3 benefits deserve reconsideration of your opinion. We should try making the H5MD data structures as clear and generic as possible with simple solutions for reading and writing.

BTW, if your old files shall be read by a future H5MD reader that expects the box information in trajectory, you may simply add a link from trajectory to observables. Such links are part of the proposal.

Felix