h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Introduction

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Introduction
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:49:41 +1000

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 13:37:38 +1000 Yuchen wrote:
I haven't been able to use h-client though, as pygtk seems to have been superseded by pygobject

i believe that 'pygobject' is the python3 equivalent to 'pygtk'
+ 'python2-gobject2'; so it is probably not interesting yet

- http://www.pygtk.org/ redirects to https://pygobject.readthedocs.io/en/latest/.
- python2 is end of life.
- there's no build file etc and the instructions in the README files does not work in my setup, and I suspect it probably won't work for many others too.

h-client works on parabola, which is a rolling distro with the
most up-to-date software available - you should not need to use
pip, in order to compile or install h-client - any missing
dependencies can probably be found in your distro repos for a
previous release

If you need something from a previous version of distro repo, it probably won't work for most people.

- the dependencies themselves, probably have no
further dependencies, and should not conflict with any python3
packages

on parabola those are:
* pygtk
* libglade
* python2-cairo
* python2-gobject2

which distro are you trying to install it on?

i would not worry about h-client for now - it is in pretty good
shape - if it is really a problem for any FSDG distro, i will
fix it somehow - maintaining the client is the main reason why i
joined the project

the only high-priority issue for this project is getting the
published server code in sync with the running service

The server code is more or less up to date. What we need is to have a staging server to test changes, and a git repo in the prod server. I agree fixing h-client is not as important as these issues.

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0