guix-devel

Re: Formalizing teams

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Formalizing teams
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 11:05:16 +0200

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 03:44:55PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Guix is nowhere near the size of the Rust community (yet!), but I can
> >> already picture teams and members:
> >>
> >>   co-maintainers (“core team”)
> >>   community
> >>   infrastructure
> >>   internationalization
> >>   security response
> >>   release
> >>   Rust packaging
> >>   R packaging
> >>   Java packaging
> >
> > We'd have to include every language/system of importance to that list
> > (Python, Ruby, Emacs, LaTeX, Perl, etc.), no?
>
> No, only those where we already have the people who could form a team.
> There is no need for any of this to be comprehensive.  It just needs to
> be an improvement over the status quo.
>
> FWIW, I’ll gladly make it official that I could be the person to talk to
> when it comes to “R packaging”.  This is already the case, but only
> those people know it who don’t really need to know this.
>
> Advertising this kind of information or recording it somewhere where our
> tools could redirect incoming requests would be an improvement.
>
> > Are our problems really organizational?  I think before attempting to
> > come up with a solution, we must analyze and agree on what it is that
> > needs improvement to help us move forward more efficiently.
>
> I do think it’s a lack of organization, yes.  Today I’m no longer
> following guix-commits, guix-patches, or bug-guix, and I’m overwhelmed
> by guix-devel and help-guix.  Whenever something catches my attention
> I’ll read a bit and maybe reply.  But by far the best way to get my
> attention for a review is to ask on #guix or #guix-hpc or to
> X-Debbugs-Cc (or Cc) me on emails.
>
> Having some topic-specific streams I could tap into would allow me to be
> a little more proactive.

Echoing Rekardo, I still check each commit as I git pull but I'm not
able to keep up with all of guix-devel, guix-help and bugs-guix anymore.
I currently have about 3000 unread emails in my combo
guix-devel/bugs-guix folder that I keep as a todo list of sorts of
patches to check or bugs to follow-up on. I feel overwhelmed by the
sheer number of emails and I feel guilty about not reviewing more
patches and bugs.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא