guix-devel

Re: git hook error

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: git hook error
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:53:18 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 at 18:46, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 11:31:10PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> The motivation for that is not found in just one big problem.  It’s a
>> small trickle of minor annoyances:
>>
>> - Savannah’s uptime isn’t quite as high as we’d like
>
> Okay. I wonder if we could actually do a better job, or if anybody who
> hosts a comparable repo does.
>
> Our own record with the build farm and the record of major hosts like
> Github are both somewhat discouraging. And if we could only hope for an
> equivalent uptime to Savannah, it doesn't seem worth it to shoulder this
> work ourselves.

Well, I agree with Ricardo that the list of minor annoyances is greater
than the burden of maintenance.  I also agree that it is again another
load on “our” shoulders, but somehow at this point, is it that much
compared to the gain?

> My opinion is that, in order to consider hosting our own Git server, we
> should wait until people are using declarative Guix configuration to
> operate reliable, performant, and public Git servers that would meet our
> needs. That is, the Guix project needs to grow this capability without
> the heroic effort of a single volunteer. Because that's what we have now
> with Savannah, more or less, and we don't have to work for it. Maybe
> this has already been achieved, I don't know.

Hum, maybe I miss something but changing the Git server is transparent
for the users.  One commit pushed to Savannah changing the URL, the user
runs “guix pull”, then the next “guix pull” will pull the new location.

However, it is not clear what happens for “guix time-machine”?

Well, as it is possible to list several substitutes servers, maybe the
first step could to add another Git server in addition to Savannah,
mirror this Git server using Savannah, then flip and mirror Savannah
against this Git server.

Last, this server should be part of a CDN, IMHO.

Cheers,
simon