guix-devel

Re: Speeding up guix?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Speeding up guix?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 14:58:34 +0100

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> There has been discussion about this in the past:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00694.html
>
> Browse the thread, pipelining and reuse of connections are discussed.
>
> Julien did work on a patch regarding downloads (if I recall correctly it
> was to enable parallel downloads), I believe it's still hanging
> somewhere in the bug tracker.

Yes, it’s one of the many patches waiting for feedback:  :-)

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/39728

I contemplated another way to improve on download speeds, by spawning a
single ‘guix substitute’ process and thus potentially reusing
connections, but it’s trickier than it seems.

Ludo’.

PS to yarnton: Note that Nix would also have to catch up on some
  features: grafts, authenticated checkouts, reduced binary seeds, etc.
  ;-)