guix-devel

Re: [OUTREACHY]: Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: [OUTREACHY]: Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 17:01:26 -0400

Hi Danny!

> thanks for the patches!

:-)

> In my opinion, in patch 1 you are goading Guix to keep a reference to
> .../bin/true .
>
> coreutils is an implicit build input anyway, so no need to do that stuff.
>
> And if you do it, it looks as if you want it to keep a reference to coreutils
> at runtime (it doesn't, but just saying).  It looks more complicated, too.

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this mind moving forward.

> Please if you update the actual package from upstream, mention that fact in
> the commit log.  If the actual upstream package changes, that's a serious
> change, right?  People might wanna know where that happens.

Sure! I usually mention the version update as a part of * gnu/packages
[...]. Should that be enough or do I also mention as a part of gnu: [...]?

> In patch 2 could have used rename-file instead of (copy; delete).

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this mind moving forward.

> What use is having a thing both propagated-input and regular input?
> (genuinely asking)

IIRC, propagated-inputs are installed along-side the package, whereas,
inputs are not. But I do not see any use of mentioning something in both.

> Pushed to wip-desktop with minor changes (almost none of the above except
> for the (copy; delete) thing).

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.