guix-devel

Re: [OUTREACHY]: Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: [OUTREACHY]: Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 12:08:31 +0300

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 09:34:01AM -0400, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> As a part of outreachy internship program, I have to create a blog and
> make posts every two weeks. The following are the blog information:
> BLOG: https://hub.disroot.org/channel/raghavgururajan?f=&cat=outreachy
> FEED: https://hub.disroot.org/feed/raghavgururajan?f=&cat=outreachy
>
> The following will be the outline of this project:

< snip >

> PART 4: Enlightenment
> (a) Revise Package(s): Add missing packages, remove deprecated packages
> and fix erroneous packages.
> (b) Revise Meta-Package(s): Clean-up enlightenment and create
> enlightenment-minimal.
> (c) Revise Package Module(s): Rebase enlightenment.scm into
> enlightenment-core.scm, enlightenment-apps.scm,
> enlightenment-modules.scm, enlightenment-bindings.scm,
> enlightenment-tools.scm and enlightenment-games.scm.
> (d) Revise Service(s): Add missing services, remove deprecated services
> and fix erroneous services.
> (e) Revise Service Module(s): Rebase enlightenment-dektop-service-type
> and %desktop-services into enlightenment-desktop-service-type and
> enlightenment-minimal-desktop-service-type.

Congrats again! As the unofficial Enlightenment maintainer I'm happy to
work with you and to try to not grumble too much about changes.

I currently have efl-1.24.1 and enlightenment-0.24 sitting in a separate
branch waiting for our heatwave to break so I can go back to my normal
machine and test them out in person. In addition, I have a couple of EFL
apps which I haven't pushed to Guix yet. Some of them I haven't gotten
around to, some of them need more work. I've also previously tracked
down some of the Moksha apps (enlightenment 0.17 fork) for consideration
for packaging.

I see Enlightenment is 4 of 4 in the desktop list and I certainly won't
be offended if it receives less attention than the other desktop
environments and services. It has fewer moving parts than the others.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר