guix-devel

Re: [FONTS]: Media Type Specification Changed.

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: [FONTS]: Media Type Specification Changed.
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 12:13:36 -0400

Hey Tobias!

>> Hello Guix!
>
> o/
>
> I haz returned.

Nice! I was wondering what happend to you. ;-)

>> As of 2017, IANA (www.iana.org) has changed the standard template for
>> font media types.
>>

> Not so much changed, but that there was previously no standard. The W3C
> was displeased with the proliferation of ad-hoc, inconsistent font MIME
> types and created [SOURCE].
>
>> So, font/freetype and font/opentype has to be updated to font/ttf and
>> font/otf, respectively.
>
> For people who deal with MIMEs, yes, but how does this affect a package
> manager like Guix?  We don't.

Never mind, I was researching in the mean time and was about send
another email to ignore my email.

>> Almost all font packages in guix, are using the old specification.
>
> Where?
>
>> I have updated font-gnu-freefont a while ago. We need to update other
>> packages. Any ideas on how to change them all in a time-saving way?
>
> Are you talking about 5483a2d0a913fe533744699e9ef5757c6e3f6983?
>
> Aside... I know others have mentioned this before, and this is another
> example of a commit that should have been split.  It silently moves the
> TTF fonts from /share/fonts/truetype to /share/fonts/ttf for reasons
> that aren't explained anywhere and aren't related to the stated goal.
>
> Was this RFC the reason?  If so you're confusing two unrelated things.

No, my goal was to enable other types. I happened to update it like that
and assumed I did it correctly when I came across this MIME thing. But
anyway, before merging I well-tested the patch. It does not affect
anything. What ever is next to /share/fonts/ like /share/fonts/foobar,
font-config finds it correctly. So all good i'd say. :-). Also, I hope
the used acronyms are not confusing.

Regards,
RG.