guix-devel

Re: FOSDEM is coming!

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: FOSDEM is coming!
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 02:04:24 -0600

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 07:29:27PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> I've been working on using 'guix system container' to deploy services on
> non-Guix systems and I've been thinking of preparing a talk and sending
> it off to the distribution room.

Or the container room? Or the HPC room? Just submit, you never know.

> I think it would be interesting to give a talk to the rust people about
> my experiences trying to package rust in Guix but I'm not sure how
> receptive they'd be.

Not very, I suspect, until we come with a solution that solves *their*
problems. The popularity of Rust is something of an enigma to me. This
is not the place to give a Rust rant, but I do think that packaging
needs to happen at the distribution level, rather than at the language
level. Most modern languages go down that route - it is not great.

Pj.