guix-devel

Re: Running individual system tests

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Running individual system tests
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 15:04:13 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:03:20 +0200
Daniel Schäfer <address@hidden> wrote:

> And I have to do it, whenever I want to run any system test, or build an
> in-tree package (which I'm going to submit for inclusion)?

Yes, in the end you have to do that.  I agree that that's a very high
bar of entry (for example compared to Gentoo ebuilds).  But yes.

> Or more precisely: It has to be run, once, before I do those things.
> Question: Doesn't it ever have to be rerun? How are new modules compiled?

Yes.  Ideally (in order to have a consistent state), delete the entire git
clone of guix, then clone guix again and do it all over again.

In practice I only invoke "make -j5" again.
If that doesn't work, I invoke "./configure --localstatedir=/var" again
and then "make -j5".
This will incrementally compile new things so it will be quite fast.

If the version of Guile got swapped before the second run of that stuff, the
final result will be Frankenstein's monster, though, so I'm under no illusion
that that's safe.

> It takes 33 minutes on my laptop and is only going to take longer, when
> Guix gets bigger.

-j5

> Is there maybe an interpreted mode?

There is, but it is buggy.  Ideally, nobody has to run "make" before
any of this stuff (Guile can just interpret the scm files) but there's
a strange bug where Guile then will use the wrong files (probably old
compiled files from ~/.cache) if you do that, so I never do it anymore.