guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Mikhail Kryshen
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 19:19:56 +0300

I'm deeply disappointed to see this.  I always thought that the free
software community have strong and independent culture, and it's very
sad to see GNU maintainers, for whose work I have great respect, fall
for the moral panic that is being spread by news and social media (it is
in the interests of the media to promote moral panics as it increases
user engagement and gives them even more power to manipulate the
public).  This leads to dissolution of the free software culture and its
ethical values with the influence of media and corporations that are
hostile towards software freedom.  And you demonstrated that this
influence is real by letting a slanderous media campaign provoke you
into action (even if you are not acting merely upon the false
accusations by the media and have some valid reasons for doing this, you
are still acting in the wake of that campaign and under the influence of
it).

--
Mikhail