guix-devel

Re: Status update+patches:Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: Status update+patches:Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:26:33 +0200

On Fri, 2019-09-20 at 21:12 +0200, Jonathan Brielmaier wrote:
> On 20.09.19 20:48, Svante Signell wrote:

> If I got your situation correctly you need to do the following steps.
>
> 1. Obtain the guix git repo
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> cd guix/
> patch the files you need to patch
>
> 2. Get an environment with the dependencies of guix.
> - the most simple way is to install guix itself from a binary. See
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation
> and then use the `guix environment` feature. After you installed guix
> successfull, just do inside your guix git repo:
> guix environment guix
>
> 3. Now you have the dependencies for building your patched guix from
> source. Inside the guix git repo do:
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> make
>
> 4. Now there is guix with the changes you patched in this git repo. You
> can use it simply by using the pre-inst-env script:
> ./pre-inst-env guix build stuff-for-hurd-which-need-this-patch
>
> You know can just patch files in the guix git repo. This will directly
> be "visible" in ./pre-inst-env guix. So you don't need to do step 3 all
> the time :)

Thanks, I have now built the cross bootstrap tarballs again, on a GNU/Linux pre-
installed image running guix. The results are the same as for the previous build
on a Debian GNU/Linux amd64 image:

binutils-static-stripped-2.31.1-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
gcc-stripped-5.5.0-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
glibc-stripped-2.28-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
guile-static-stripped-2.0.14-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
static-binaries-0-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz

Extracting bash, mkdir, tar, xz and guile and run them with --version shows that
at least xz and guile are corrupt:

gnu/packages/bootstrap/i586-gnu/xz --version
gnu/packages/bootstrap/i586-gnu/xz: Error creating a pipe: Function not
implemented

gnu/packages/bootstrap/i586-gnu/guile --version
Throw without catch before boot:
Aborting.
Aborted (core dumped)

Maybe it is time to spend time on something else for now...