guix-devel

Re: Status update+patches:Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: Status update+patches:Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:10:39 +0200

On Sun, 2019-09-08 at 22:55 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > I believe the problem is in Guix, which lets the builds for i586-gnu use
> > Guile 2.2, but generates scripts for Guile 2.0.  We probably need to
> > change it use Guile 2.0 there as it is done for other architectures
> > (which is why the generated scripts refer to 2.0).
>
> Yes, it seems easier to keep everything at 2.0 for now in
> ‘make-bootstrap.scm’.
>
> Someone porting to PowerPC made the same suggestion recently.

Back after a few days of AFK.

> On Wed, 2019-09-04 at 09:52 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Didn’t you use Guile 2.2 for the bootstrap?  This generated script
> > assumes that Guile 2.0 is used.
>
> I had both guile-2.0-libs and guile-2.2-libs installed. guile-2.0-libs was
> installed due to autogen, one of the build-dependencies of gnutls28.

So you say that
> I probably have to compile latest autogen with guile-2.2-libs and after that
> gnutls28 again.
will not be enough?

> I believe the problem is in Guix, which lets the builds for i586-gnu use
> Guile 2.2, but generates scripts for Guile 2.0.  We probably need to
> change it use Guile 2.0 there as it is done for other architectures
> (which is why the generated scripts refer to 2.0).

Then the generation of bootstrap binaries for GNU/Hurd has to be reverted from
Guix 1.0.1 since they build:
guile-static-stripped-2.2.4-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz

Wouldn't it be better to fully support guile-2.2 for all architectures?

Just my 5c.