guix-devel

Re: Guix Data Service - September update

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix Data Service - September update
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 17:10:21 +0200

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 12:52, Christopher Baines <address@hidden> wrote:

> Accessing the history of package versions isn't possible yet, but this
> is something I can look at adding, the information is there in the
> database.

This should be awesome. :-)

It often arises when one wants to reproduce a scientific paper
providing the versions of the tools used.

For example see [1].
Well, it is not easy [2]: locate in which .scm file the package is
defined, then checkout the Guix repo and `git log` this file.
And it is even more error-prone if the package has changed of .scm
file (e.g., the recent haskell-xyz move).

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-06/msg00094.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-06/msg00098.html

Well the access to the information will ease the time travel. :-)

Thank you for this initiative even if I am not sure to clearly
understand yet what the Guix Data Service is. :-)

All the best,
simon