guix-devel

Re: Guix Data Service - September update

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Guix Data Service - September update
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:51:27 +0100

> Hi Chris,
>
> Christopher Baines <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> For processing jobs, the records in the database used to be deleted when the
>> job was completed, but now the records are kept and there's a page showing
>> jobs [4].
>>
>> 4: http://milano-guix-1.di.unimi.it:8765/jobs
>
> Nice!  The page only shows completed jobs, not queued jobs, right?

It shows all jobs currently, queued, running and completed (based off
the events relating to the job in the database).

>>  - I want to get back to making progress on automating code review for Guix
>>    patches, this was one of the main motivations for getting lint warnings in
>>    the database and on to the comparison page
>
> That would be great.  In the end, it seems to be that there are quite a
> few services we could build around the Data Service.  I’m not sure how
> they should interact.
>
> For instance, Mumi could talk to data.guix.gnu.org over an HTTP API, or
> should we replicate the database at issues.guix.gnu.org so that Mumi can
> tap directly into it?

It's probably better to use some standard interface like a HTTP API
rather than the database directly. What data were you thinking would be
useful for Mumi?

> Likewise, how should something like hpcguix-web (the package browser at
> <https://hpc.guix.info/browse>) exploit available data, for instance to
> show the history of package versions?

There are some URLs that can be used to access data, for example this
URL should return packages for the latest revision of the master branch
[1].

1:
http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages.json?all_results=on

Accessing the history of package versions isn't possible yet, but this
is something I can look at adding, the information is there in the
database.

>>  - The Guix package and service definitions haven't been merged, so I want to
>>    look at that once the location for the Git repository is sorted out
>
> Looks like it’s done now:
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git>.  :-)

Yep, and I've gone ahead and reconfigured milano-guix-1, so
http://data.guix.gnu.org/ is now the URL.

> Are there specific areas where you’d like help?

Yes, or rather I have far more ideas than time. I need to get my
thoughts in order though and write them down somewhere, maybe a ROADMAP
file in the repository, similar to the one in the main Guix
repository...

> Would you encourage people to start and hack tools or services that
> build upon the available data?

Yes, although I'm still unsure how stable the API will be, so that's an
important thing to keep in mind.