guix-devel

Re: Cuirass Ghzminutes enhancement idea

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Cuirass Ghzminutes enhancement idea
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:26:31 +0200

Swedebugia, Guix,

I was about to answer on IRC when I saw this thread :-)

swedebugia wrote:
<swedebugia> Maybe we could have an additional time measurement:
Ghzminutes. E.g. if the build took 60 minutes on a 3 Ghz machine it
took 20 Ghzminutes.
<swedebugia> The build node would have to communicate the total Ghz
used for the build. E.g. if 2-core 3 Ghz= 2*3 Ghz= 6 Ghz.

https://www.tobias.gr/marx.png

Instead (and I'm probably not the first to suggest this), store the time taken to build each store item in the database and spit out some misleading number based on that. Prefer local build data; fall back to build farm (new nar field?) data if a similar package has never been built locally.

In both cases, make innumerable ridiculous assumptions: that system load isn't constantly fluctuating; that store items with identical names aren't completely different configurations of the same package; that -c and -M are remotely similar; that it's not this week in Belgium where CPUs are being heat-throttled by the weather alone; that the build isn't bound by a test suite that takes a day to run on spinning rust (hi ceph); …

It might even give a rough idea of build time.

Kind regards,

T G-R

PS: reminds me of http://linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter04/aboutsbus.html