guix-devel

Re: problem installing on RAID partition and hot to rescue

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: problem installing on RAID partition and hot to rescue
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 16:37:19 +0200

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> skribis:

> do you mean: it's inconvenient to manually edit /mnt/etc/config.scm once
> the graphical installer displayed it and before the "guix system init
> /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt" by the installer?
>
> thinking twice I realize that mix-and-match guided (installer) and
> manual installation is not a great idea... it was a dirty hack :-)
>
> by the way, I'll try to rescue the system from the unbootable state:
> I'll re-assemble /dev/md0, chroot to it and try to grub-install and
> re-init Guix system with a fixed config.scm
>
> if the above fails, I'll re-install from scratch using the manual
> installation method

Yeah, what I mean is that, for now, you should use the manual
installation method entirely.  The guided method assumes it has control
over the whole process, so if you do things behind its back, it’s likely
to go awry.

It wouldn’t be That Hard™ to adjust the installer to so that it offers
RAID as an additional option, but right now the focus is on shipping
1.0.1 to address the more pressing issues.

Thanks,
Ludo’.