guix-devel

Re: [Non-root Guix]: Unable to build guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [Non-root Guix]: Unable to build guix
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 22:33:10 +0200

Hi,

> I am trying to prepare guix for installing at non-root location. I have
> followed the documentation available here:
> https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#error-in-procedure-scm-error-no-code-for-module-gcrypt-hash

I’d just like to note that this is not official documentation of the
Guix project.  I don’t know if this is still accurate information.

Do you want to build everything from source on your system or do you
prefer to use binaries from the Guix project’s build farms?  Do you have
access to user namespaces / can you use “unshare” for file system
shenanigans?

> ./pre-inst-env guix package -i guix

We don’t recommend using Guix from a git checkout in most cases, because…

> substitute: ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
> substitute: no code for module (gcrypt hash)

…you would need to take care of providing the appropriate Guile
environment all by yourself whereas “guix pull” does all of this for
you.  This error tells you that guile-gcrypt is not available in the
environment in which the daemon runs.

I would also like to suggest an alternative to a root-less installation.
At the HPC cluster where I work we run the guix-daemon as root on a
virtual machine where /gnu/store is a writable NFS share.  Every machine
that uses Guix only needs to mount this share as read-only.

--
Ricardo