guix-devel

Re: User shell: state or config?

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Re: User shell: state or config?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 22:18:18 +0200

Hello Guix!

Le 04/25, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> We recently discussed handling of the ‘shell’ field of ‘user-account’:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-04/msg00171.html

Thanks for taking the time to think about it! :-)

> Considering user shells as state seemed like a good idea
> […]
> All in all, I’m in favor of switching back to the previous behavior

I don't yet understand the consequences of this choice, so I don't have an
opinion on this. For instance, I don't yet understand why, on my system, two
shells installed "system wide" with `guix system reconfigure`
(namely bash and fish) don't have the same "type" of path [1]?
I was expecting fish to be in the `/run/current-system/profile/bin/`
folder. And what about the second bash?!

[1]: from `/etc/shells`
     /run/current-system/profile/bin/bash
     /gnu/store/qn1ax1fkj16x280m1rv7mcimfmn9l2pf-bash-4.4.23/bin/bash
     /gnu/store/9r5z8k0p0ilmg8qfyc82x11ybacawfqa-fish-3.0.2/bin/fish

Best regards

--
Tanguy