guix-devel

Re: User shell: state or config?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: User shell: state or config?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 12:54:15 +0200

Hi,

Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> skribis:

> I don't yet understand the consequences of this choice, so I don't have an
> opinion on this. For instance, I don't yet understand why, on my system, two
> shells installed "system wide" with `guix system reconfigure`
> (namely bash and fish) don't have the same "type" of path [1]?
> I was expecting fish to be in the `/run/current-system/profile/bin/`
> folder. And what about the second bash?!
>
> [1]: from `/etc/shells`
>      /run/current-system/profile/bin/bash
>      /gnu/store/qn1ax1fkj16x280m1rv7mcimfmn9l2pf-bash-4.4.23/bin/bash
>      /gnu/store/9r5z8k0p0ilmg8qfyc82x11ybacawfqa-fish-3.0.2/bin/fish

/etc/shells is one of these good ol’ Unix hacks, like /etc/fstab, that
don’t make much sense on Guix, but that we provide to please a number of
programs that rely on it (in this case: xterm and polkit, notably, and
chsh.)

You can find in (gnu system shadow) the code that creates this file.
The first three lines are added systematically, while the others are
derived from user accounts.

HTH,
Ludo’.