guix-devel

OSM tile server with Guix

From: swedebugia
Subject: OSM tile server with Guix
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 06:44:45 +0100

Hi

I read up on how to setup a tile server with the least hassle. It is
quite a bit involved according to this guide:
https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-18-04-lts/

I imagine this could be more fully automated with guix if we find a way
to run the pgsql-commands from guile and write the necessary services.

We have most of the bits and pieces already but I spotted a few that
were missing while reading and thought I would share them here:

* mod_tile (apache plugin) https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile
* carto (uses npm and node) https://www.npmjs.com/package/carto (7
dependencies - at least 1 with a lot of dependencies (yargs))
* openstreetmap-carto (contain carto-css styles and a lua-script useful
for tag-transformation when loading pbf-files into a postgis database
with osm2pgsql and get-shapefiles.py a script to download low-zoom
country boundaries) https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/

This last one should perhaps be included in our osm2pgsql-package
because it is hard to imagine someone using one but not the other.

It seems we need a renderd-service also.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers Swedebugia