guix-devel

Re: Guix libification.

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Guix libification.
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 15:19:06 +0800

Adam Van Ymeren <address@hidden> writes:

> On June 10, 2017 12:04:59 PM EDT, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>I also needed similar functionality, but since I didn't want to depend
>>on guix modules
>

> Why not depend on guix modules?  I'm not a scheme/guile expert just
> curious, what's the downside to depending upon guix?

I can think of many problems.

Conceptual problem: Guix is a package manager, not a library. It is
akward to depend on a package manager, not using it for package
management, but to use the data structures it provides.

Size problem: Guix is not small. If you software is simple and small,
depending on guix will make your software signaficantly bigger.

API stability problem: Guix has no stable API. This is to make
development easier. Maintaining old stuff just to keep backward
compatibility requires a lot of effort. Depending on guix means your
application will break if guix decides to change its data structure
API.