guile-gtk-general

Re: Simple menu example - append throws error

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Simple menu example - append throws error
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 22:32:44 -0300

Hi Patricio,

> ERROR: In procedure append:
> ERROR: In procedure append: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting empty
> list): #<<gtk-menu> 9049940>

> The second append line fails with the same error above.  Replacing
> both lines with gtk-menu-shell-append solves the issue and the demo runs fine:

>     (gtk-menu-shell-append filemenu quit)
>     ;(append filemenu quit)
>     (gtk-menu-shell-append menubar file)
>     ;(append menubar file)

Yes, indeed, I'm sorry about this, but you'll have to use the 'long names' for
know.
Although the append method is properly defined for a GtkMenuShell and its child,
see:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile-gnome.git/tree/defs/gnome/defs/gtk.defs#n11977

and not being overridden anywhere, AFAICT, it does not make its way to the user
:)

> ii  guile-cairo-dev     1.4.0-3.1    ...

This an almost 10y old version :). Not your fault of course, but I strongly
recommend you to purge this version ('aptitude purge' or 'apt-get purge') and
install using this tarball instead (an official release is on its way, but I've
no
idea when, so better grab this version now :)):

        http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/grip/guile-cairo/
                guile-cairo-1.10.0.tar.gz

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/

        http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/grip/guile-cairo/
                guile-cairo-1.10.0.tar.gz
                guile-cairo-1.10.0.tar.gz.sig [1]

        [ Downloads will redirect to your nearest mirror site.
        [ Files on mirrors may be subject to a replication delay of up to 24
hours.
        [ In case of problems use
        [   http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/

        gpg --verify guile-cairo-1.10.0.tar.gz.sig
        tar zxf  guile-cairo-1.10.0.tar.gz
        cd guile-cairo-1.10.0
        ./configure [--prefix=/your/prefix]
        make
        make check
        make install

        [ please report any problem here

> ii  guile-gnome2-dev    2.16.2-2     ...
> ii  guile-gnome2-glib   2.16.2-2     ...
> ii  guile-gnome2-gtk    2.16.2-2     ...

Dito, I recommend to purge all guile-gnome-* packages and install using the
latest
stable release:

        https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/download.html

        Except for guile-cairo which you should install as described above,
        carefully read the instructions and you will be fine!

        [ please report any problem here

Cheers,
David

[1]

Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the .sig suffix)
is
intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file and the corresponding
tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

        gpg --verify guile-cairo-1.10.0.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key, then run
this
command to import it:

        gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys A3057AD7