guile-gtk-general

Re: Where do I start?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Where do I start?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:54:51 +0100

Hey Stephen,

Welcome!

On Sun 03 Feb 2008 08:45, Stephen P. Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to build a GUI program in scheme in the Fedora 8 environment, which
> means
> I have guile-gnome-platform-2.15.93.  Five pages into the tutorial I attempt
>
> bash-3.2$ guile-gnome-0
> guile> (make <gboolean> #:value #f)

Running guile-gnome-0 allows you to import version 0 of the guile-gnome
modules. It is the same as:

  bash-3.2$ guile
  guile> (import (gnome-0))

The rationale for this is in the "Getting started" section of the
tutorial. At this point you should import the modules you want; e.g.
GTK+ isn't loaded until you do:

  guile> (import (gnome gtk))

In your case, if you're just working with the base GObject library, what
you probably wanted to do was:

  guile> (import (gnome gobject))

> Where do I go for clue?  What did *you* read to learn this environment?  I'm
> not
> afraid of source code, but which 20 files should I read first?

Run guile-gtk-demo.scm in the examples dir, it has working source code
examples.

Please ask if you have more questions, or suggestions where things could
be made more clear.

Peace,

Andy
--