guile-gtk-general

Re: g-wrap parallel installability part deux

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: g-wrap parallel installability part deux
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:51:20 +0200

Howdy,

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:03 +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> > "Install guile-gnome, but, er, not if you have gnucash..."
> >
> Well, GnuCash depends on the G-Wrap .scm modules only at build time,
> so it should be no problem overwriting the old g-wrap module (assuming
> that people don't want to rebuild gnucash).

IIRC for glist-of, wct, and wcp handling it does need the generated SCM
wrappers. Can't recall quite right. Besides, it is completely wrong for
one incompatible version to overwrite another, leaving its pieces
around. This means e.g. the gnucash .deb couldn't install correctly.

> > $(installdir)/g-wrap/$oldfile.scm to $(installdir)/g-
> > wrap/old/$oldfile.scm.
> >
> Why this linking?

Maybe to indicate more clearly that those files are separate from the
new ones, and that they are old. Reminds one of the links in $prefix/lib
as well, but that pulls in the whole versioned-modules problem because
we don't have a linker.

> (though being quite heavyweight, since we'd ship the whole old G-Wrap
> code, including runtime).

True, although it shouldn't be much work. In time we'll develop wrappers
for the old API, or better yet get patches into gnucash to have it use
the newer API.

> I'll try and keep you updated on my progress -- I think it
> should be possible within a week.

Thanks. Sorry to be so demanding, but a smooth install is important ;)

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
http://ambient.2y.net/wingo/