Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 01:20:04 -0400

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> So, now the pending task is to somehow get a condition/exception
> hierarchy into Guile core.  I will try to mostly push things off to side
> modules but it won't always be possible.  There will be bijections
> between a Guile's "throw" arguments and structured exceptions, mostly
> inspired with what Julian did in the R6RS layer already.

For the record, the bijection between R6RS conditions and Guile's throw
arguments was my work, not Julian's.  See:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=02500d44775a77e46febfd47a0dab8233b0c99d0

Prior to that commit, there was no representation for Guile's "throw"
arguments in terms of R6RS conditions, and moreover the R6RS exception
guards were incapable of catching anything other than R6RS conditions.
That terrible bug was reported by Göran Weinholt:

  https://bugs.gnu.org/14922

I fixed that bug, and announced the resulting work on guile-devel:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2013-08/msg00004.html

Whatever you may think of me, please don't write me out of Guile's
history.

      Thanks,
        Mark