Re: Merging Guile-R6RS-Libs in `master'

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Merging Guile-R6RS-Libs in `master'
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:07:13 +0200

Hi Ludovic,

On Wed 22 Apr 2009 09:55, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> That means, for instance, that module versioning could first be
> implemented in Guile's module system, which would then simply be used by
> the `library' form.

That probably makes sense, yes.

> The main differences between these two module systems are module
> versioning, and phase separation.  Fortunately, R6RS' system is a
> superset of Guile's, so we could extend the latter so that it could be
  ^^^^^^^^
> used as the foundation of the former.

Perhaps you meant to say subset? I believe we'll succeed in implementing
r6rs modules with Guile modules, but I don't think you could implement
Guile modules on top of r6rs modules.

Besides that, I don't think that phasing has any practical implication,
given the loopholes in the spec -- the set of bindings that a module
needs can be determined for *all* phases. That is to say, there is one
set of bindings that satisfies the needs of the spec for all phases of
evaluation of a module. Bindings needed at expansion time will be
present at runtime, but that's allowed.

Just some nitpicks :)

Andy
--