grub-devel

Re: Where is GRUB development?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Where is GRUB development?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 09:33:40 -0700

Hi,

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Well runlevels and their meanings are a user space issue.  1 is only
> single user by tradition, it doesn't have to be.

"single user" is meaningful only by tradition in the UNIX environment
and GRUB is OS agnostic.
Still and all, most often if you're booting with GRUB, you are also
booting an OS from the UNIX
tradition, meaning appending a "1" is going to put the thing into some
administrative mode.

> Really not something a boot loader can know or care about.

It does not seem reasonable to be helpful for the users of the OS most
commonly booted?

> Hmm, I thought it was right on the screen that e was edit.  I guess if
> you use a graphical menu it might not be there.

Looks like text to me.  Maybe it is text on a graphical interface.
Whatever.  No indicator
that pressing "e" does anything, but pressing "e" gets you to an
edit-the-menu-entry screen.
Unfortunately, the menu entry now is not a comprehensible one liner
like it used to be.
To someone unfamiliar with the menu contents, it is a dozen very long
lines full of
strange abbrevs.  The hint about "put a '1' on the end of the line
that starts with 'linux' "
is necessary for the uninitiated.  For folks who just want to get their Linux
up and running, requiring them to learn and understand the mysterious ways of
the grub boot menu is just too much.  Just a tiny hint alongside the "control-x"
hint would be very helpful:

> And of course you have to hit control-x to boot your custom[ized] entry

There are several options.  Fortunately, those options _are_ enumerated on that
editing page.  Please consider adding a hint about the "linux" (os image) line.

Regards, Bruce