grub-devel

Re: grub-1.97

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: grub-1.97
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:02:00 -0500

Michal Suchanek wrote:
2009/10/28 Bruce Dubbs <address@hidden>:

I'd also like to make a comment.  It may be useful if you split up the build
into subdirectories by component.  When I extracted the tarball, there were
57 files/directories in the top of the build tree.  After configure it was
64.  So far so good.  However, after make it was over 2400 files, many with
very long file names.  This makes it almost impossible to navigate form the
command line, even on a very big screen.  If you split it up, you could also
shorten the filenames.  I would think that would be an advantage to
encourage programmers to read the code and contribute to the project.

I guess it's meant to be used like this:

tar -jxvf grub-version.tar.bz2
cd grub-version
mkdir build
cd build
../configure./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --sysconfdir=/etc \
            --disable-largefile     \
            --disable-grub-emu      \
            --disable-grub-emu-usb  \
            --disable-grub-fstest   \
            --disable-efiemu --prefix=/some_prefix --options
make
make install

Yes, that is exactly what we are doing.  Right now the configure line is

./configure --prefix=/usr           \
            --sysconfdir=/etc       \
            --disable-largefile     \
            --disable-grub-emu      \
            --disable-grub-emu-usb  \
            --disable-grub-fstest   \
            --disable-efiemu

Now you have 2k files in the build directory but the ones that are
useful can be found under /some_prefix

Right and 1200 of them are *.lst files, many of which have 30+ character filenames. Doing an ls puts everything in one column. Even if I expand my terminal to 269 characters, I only get 4 columns of files. It's just hard to navigate.

You can find the files installed under /some_prefix in the build
directory so you can use them directly as well.

Yes, but you have to do `ls -l|grep ^d` just to find out what the directories
are.

Many of the object files are replicated numerous times because of the
way grub links its modules. This may be addressed at later time, there
were some patches for simplifying this process.

Since there is only one Makefile, I could take a shot at creating a patch to address this problem. Would you be interested in such a patch?

  -- Bruce