grub-devel

Re: grub-1.97

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: grub-1.97
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:50:47 -0500

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Bruce Dubbs <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/28 Bruce Dubbs <address@hidden>:
>
>>> I'd also like to make a comment.  It may be useful if you split up the
>>> build
>>> into subdirectories by component.  When I extracted the tarball, there
>>> were
>>> 57 files/directories in the top of the build tree.  After configure it
>>> was
>>> 64.  So far so good.  However, after make it was over 2400 files, many
>>> with
>>> very long file names.  This makes it almost impossible to navigate form
>>> the
>>> command line, even on a very big screen.  If you split it up, you could
>>> also
>>> shorten the filenames.  I would think that would be an advantage to
>>> encourage programmers to read the code and contribute to the project.
>>>

>> I guess it's meant to be used like this:
>>
>> tar -jxvf grub-version.tar.bz2
>> cd grub-version
>> mkdir build
>> cd build
>> ../configure./configure --prefix=/usr \
>
>            --sysconfdir=/etc \
>            --disable-largefile     \
>            --disable-grub-emu      \
>            --disable-grub-emu-usb  \
>            --disable-grub-fstest   \
>            --disable-efiemu --prefix=/some_prefix --options
>>
>> make
>> make install
>
> Yes, that is exactly what we are doing.  Right now the configure line is

Not "exactly", and the difference is important.Michal suggested
running "../configure" with a double-dot meaning parent directory.
Your line has only a single dot, meaning current directory.  As a
result your files are all mixed together instead of separated as
intended.