grub-devel

incoming font engine update

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: incoming font engine update
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:01:52 +0200

Hi All,

I am about to integrate Colin's new Font Engine with additional changes
to gfxterm.

This means that current font tool chain will be obsolete and there will
be new font commands to load fonts and so on. These will be detailed in
more detail in later emails about the change. Side effects will be that
font file format will change thus invaliding old fonts and it will
affect font sizes too. Principal idea is to convert BDF fonts to GRUB 2
fonts. Normally used GNU Unifont is already provided in BDF form.

This will open the needed path for GRUB 2 Graphical Menu developed by
Colin. There are sill some patches that will need attention, but
basically almost all ground work is after that ready.

Next I will do some cleanup for the patch and try to commit it withing
couple of days.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen