grub-devel

Re: State of GRUB on PowerPC

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: State of GRUB on PowerPC
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:37:26 +0100

Hello,

Just a little correction, I was really tired when I wrote this down the
other day:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 01:00:19AM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On the command-line, I copied the "search --fs-uuid --set" line from my
> grub.cfg, and
> 1) it printed "no such device" and errored out ($?=12,
> GRUB_ERR_UNKNOWN_DEVICE)
> 2) set my root variable to (second-boot).
>
> Our guess is that this second-boot device has the same uuid as hd or hd,3
> and that makes search fail or whatever.
>
> if I do "ls", I get hd + its partitions, ide0, ide1, first-boot and
> second-boot. `ls (first-boot)` gives:
> Device first-boot: partition table
> and `ls (first-boot)/` gives the "unknown filesystem" error.

So, what the search command sets my root variable to is "first-boot",
not second boot.

The search command does print a "no such device" message, but our guess is
that it's caused by search trying to look into second-boot.

Thanks,
Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/