grub-devel

Re: TPM support with SATA drives

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: TPM support with SATA drives
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:22:03 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:06:19AM +0200, Laurent Dufréchou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to use a TPM chip on a motherboard. I’ve seen trusted-grub
> project but the problem is that it can’t work because my motherboard
> supports only SATA drive.
>
> === 2.6 Known Bugs ===
>
> * SATA and Floppy support is currently not included due to the limitation of
> stage1.
>

> Now, I’ve just discovered Grub2.
>
> I’m wondering if there is some patch to add support for TPM chip and
> measurement of files on system, thus on sata drive.
>
> If you’ve got any other idea to help me on using measurement with sata on
> grub, I will be really happy too.

Hi Laurent,

The problem with these TPM chips is that they have the hidden purpose of
restricting you as user.  Despite that you paid for the hardware and are its
owner, the chip will never give you its master key.

The idea behind this is that you can be coerced into accepting that someone
else can spy on your computer (they call it "remote attestation").  When
enough users accept this form of blackmail, it will become impossible to
resist to it in practice.

For these reasons, I'd like to encourage you to consider the ethical
implications of using and supporting this technology, and look for
alternatives that would satisfy whatever needs you had in it (I'd welcome
some discussion about that, to see how GRUB can help).

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)