grub-devel

Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:38:56 +0100

On Thursday 10 February 2005 22:51, Marc-Jano Knopp wrote:
> But as your mail left a few things open (Select or execute? Normal
> keys or keys with modifier? Single-letter-keys or strings?), the
> discussion about this would have had to be continued anyway. :-)

I prefer to execute it when a shortcut key is pressed. Why not?

I don't think strings are very useful. The purpose of shortcut keys is
to select something instantly, then it should be a single key press.

All possible keys should be able to be assigned shortcuts. But, my idea
is not only for shortcuts. The functions of keys are hardcoded in the
current implementation, but they should be configurable. For instance,
if the user wants to use C-c to enter the command-line interface and
use c to select a menu entry, this should be supported.

Okuji