grub-devel

Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:33:37 +0000

Serbinenko Vladimir <address@hidden> writes:

> Not at all because this syntax will mean that key is executed
> before choosing entry that I don't like. I propose the following
> syntaxes (I'm waiting for your suggestions which to use):

In that case you just should not press that key. :)

There is only the problem of key collisions (c is used for the
console, for example).  Perhaps 0-9, c-a and c-z can be used or so, I
personally don't care too much about this.

But it would be nice, IMHO, if it was clear which entry has which
hotkey.  Perhaps the title can be followed by the key in some
different color or so?

> entry "SuSE 7.3 (2.4.29)":l
> {
>     root (hd0,2)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 vga=extended rootflags=data=journal
> }

Personally I would prefer something like:

entry "SuSE 7.3 (2.4.29)" key="1"
{
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 vga=extended rootflags=data=journal
}

Or we could just give *every* menu item a hotkey and make it
configurable to make it visual (like I described above) or not.

Thanks,
Marco