grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:50:06 +0200

> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 18:10, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > Okuji, you told me a while ago that you wanted to think about this.
> > What is your opinion?
>
> I'm not sure if I understand your quesion correctly. But if it is about
> sharing commands between rescue mode and normal mode, I don't want to
> share them at all. Because I want to make normal mode more fancy than
> now, and rescue mode cannot be fancy due to the size limitation (on
> i386-pc).
>
> Okuji

I think that loaders will have common code for both modes. And so there
can be wrapper (which will be in normal mode) to provide this commands
to normal mode. And the loaders themself need not to have normal mode
commands if the rescue commands (including their descriptions) will be
accessible from normal mode.

What I want is to not write "normal mode code" to module which can be
used without normal mode.

Yes there are some restrictions, for example those commands will not be
such fancy as normal mode commands. But should be commands as 'initrd'
fancy?

What I propose is provide all rescue commands to normal mode (except
command normal) if they hasn't same name as some normal mode command.

--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik